- 3.5 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 cups dairy free milk
- 4 tsp of baking powder
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1.5 tbsp of pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup natural demerara sugar (use unrefined caster sugar as a substitute)
- 2/3 cup coconut oil
For the butter cream:
- 1/2 cup dairy free butter
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
For the strawberry jam filling:
- 10-12 strawberries (depending on size)
- 4 tbsp strawberry jam
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 200c, gas 6. Grease two 10 inch cake tins.
- Sift the flour and baking into a mixing bowl and mix together.
- Whisk together the coconut oil, milk, vanilla, sugar, lemon zest and juice in a separate bowl until smooth.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients, then whisk for 2-3 minutes until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into the cake tins and bake for 35–40 minutes until risen and completely cooked.
- Whilst the cakes are cooking, heat a pan on low to medium heat and add the jam. Slice the strawberries in half and add to the pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the jam has melted.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and leave to cool for 15 minutes in the tin, then remove and leave until they are completely cool.
- While the cakes are cooling, make the filling: beat together the spread and icing sugar mixing bowl, cover and leave to cool in the fridge until the cake is ready.
- Once the cakes and the strawberry jam have cooled, spread one layer of butter cream over one side of a cake, then add the strawberry jam. Add the second cake on top.