- 2 cups of self raising flower
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 a cup unrefined demerara sugar (use caster sugar as a substitute)
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil (melted and cooled)
- 1 cup of dairy free milk
For lemon drizzle:
- The juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp of demerara sugar
What to do:
- Oil an 8 inch cake tin. Preheat the oven to 200c (180C fan, gas 6).
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and add the chia seeds, mix well.
- In a different bowl add the milk, oil, vanilla, maple syrup, lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar then mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until the is smooth. Don’t over stir!
- Pour the cake mixture into the cake tin evenly then place in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Whilst the cake is baking, heat a pan on medium heat. Add the lemon juice and sugar, stir until well combined. Cook for 5 minutes.
- When the cake is cooked, remove from the oven then pierce all over with a fork. Add the lemon drizzle.
- Leave the cake to cook for about an hour then serve!